Saturday, January 23, 2010

How can I get a certified copy of my marriage certificate?

I need to get my name changed on a lot of documents but I don't want to send my marriage certificate away if I can help it, how can I get a certified copy, where from and can I get it for free?How can I get a certified copy of my marriage certificate?
Your bank or building society will usually do this for you free of charge, but you will still find that you will have to send your marriage certificate off to some Companies, a lot of them will not accept a copy - certified or not





Why not get an extra copy or two of your marriage certificate? It cost us 拢14 for two and I used those to send off so we still had one should they have gone missingHow can I get a certified copy of my marriage certificate?
You won't get a free copy. You can get additional copies from the county or city clerk's office. They charge a fee, usually around $20, for each copy.





When I got married in 2004 I just made copies of the original certificate, my driver's license (with the name change) and sent letters off to everyone telling them to change the name on the account.
I don't think you can ever get them for free because someone has to do the work to look them up, make copies, get them certified and send them to you.





It's usually the county court house where you were married.





Here's a website:


http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm
Call Social Security 1 800 252 1213 they know everything. Tip:Make a copy of your original and include it with the request for a certified copy. I guarantee you will get the certified copy within days.
You call the clerks office in the county in which you were married and they have a nominal charge.
Contact the church or registry office where you got married. They can supply you with a copy.
Court house in the county you were married. Some have online request forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment